Friday, August 12, 2011

Beyond the Classroom

After 10 weeks of work that were both long and short, I found myself late to my own goodbye party (typical), wandering the streets of the UWS, and then presenting a carefully-executed oration on little energy, drained from a checklist-perfect summer.

But ultimately, though I knew in my smartest of smarts that my internship was perfect, my heart needed something else.

I went back to camp, watched hundreds of people do silly dances, hung out with my best 13 year old friends, and made beaded projects they will never use. I watched 5 year olds pick grass from a field long barren from stomping excited feet. I saw dozens of hands clamor for pizza bagels. And somewhere between the dirt and three trips to the nurse and spilling beads, I found myself perfected between the cheese and sauce on that Jewish camp bagel.

There is something to be said for professional connections and cubicle experience. What you can't put in to words is what makes the sweat and frizz and an eleven year old splashing you so beyond amazingly useful in life.

This sort of living and learning from unexpected places, drawing a peace of heart after 10 weeks of peace of mind, is exactly what I'm looking forward to.

I'm going to Spain in a couple of weeks. That's why I started blogging, so I'd keep it up there. And after 20 years of academic learning full time, mind-learning (or cramming), I'm looking for the heart-driven learning, or at least a solid balance of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment