Tuesday, August 16, 2011

FWBii

So, I caved and saw Friends with Benefits after so many recommendations from good blog-reading friends who found my previous review to be partly untrue.  I currently think that FWB was funnier than No Strings Attached simply because I don't remember NSA so much.

I think the touching moments that everyone glosses over make the movie more powerful. JT's dad with Alzheimers was a way to bring insight and modern family issues to light. Mila Kunis has mom problems and makes a subtle reference to her Jewishness. Her emotional inner fragility combats and sometimes compromises her incredible professional talent and drive. Turns out I was not making up the Jewishy feeling of this film: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/friends_with_benefits_writers.html

There were also a few references to collegey casual sex which I find to be dishearteningly true, but also comical. And I've dwelled a great deal on whether or not the premise can work in writing my former blog.

Still, it's been 24 hours and the main characters' names are slipping my mind (Jamie and Dylan. Just got it.). I did smile for the full 120something minutes, even during the moments where I felt my heart break because it just made sense.

Friends with Benefits is already slipping into my long list of romcoms that I'd happily rewatch because it was light and fun and who doesn't love a flashmob and a Prince Charming happy ending?

No comments:

Post a Comment