Thursday, September 15, 2011

Gold for the Queen

We toured a palace today. Called Alcazar, the 'residential' space was built more than a thousand years ago. When the King of Spain and his fam come to Sevilla, they get to stay there. They probably don't think anything of it, but I think it's pretty cool. I don't see why he couldn't have been my host family and I can't live there.

If I lived there, I think I'd pass out from the number of overwhelmingly beautiful tapestries or die of hunger because I was too busy looking at all of the mosaics. I'd never be able to speak or write because I wouldn't be able to find the words to express how incredible home was. I'd probably never leave the house.

Had I been part of the Arabian harem or the Spanish court that used to live there, I wouldn't have been allowed to leave the house, because I'm a woman and those are the rules. It seems like a sweet enough lifestyle to me. 

Speaking of sweet, after we left the palace, a bunch of us went to get ice cream. I have become an expert at saying "Can I try X flavor?" and have started an excellent collection of tiny plastic spoons of all colors and sizes through this method. I also have avoided spending exorbitant amounts of money on ice cream. For the price of a small ice cream here, you can buy 4 loaves of bread. Not a joke. I happen to think they are both delicious but we have lots of bread at our house and definitely not ice cream. Ultimately today, my desire for ice cream peaked and I purchased a Magnum Bar Gold. When I opened the wrapper, I discovered the bar was actually Gold, as advertised. And not that awkward yellow athletic 'golden' color. At first, I was weirded out. I had just wanted some vanilla and caramel ice cream with chocolate coating - not some gilded concoction. Then, I noticed my fingers were glowing and sparkling as the coating melted on my hands on this lovely 91 degree day. The ice cream looked magical. My hands were shining. The snack was delicious. The euros were well-spent. My tastebuds were overjoyed and my eyes, delighted.

Everything here is magical. I'm still enchanted. From palaces to pre-packaged ice cream, this day ruled like the King of Spain from the Alcazar Palace. One day when I'm Queen of the World, I'd like that to be my primary residence. And I'd like to feast on gold ice cream bars regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment