Friday, September 2, 2011

La Comida de Espana

Hola

I am perpetually full here. Maybe its the jetlag or the fact that it's too early to turn down food I don't want to eat or maybe I just keep trying things because I'm curious. Also, they were so not kidding about a radically different eating schedule.

Wake up, get the best coffee ever.
Go to class, and then come home for lunch. Which is huge. Also, thankfully my host mom/personal chef totally gets the vegetarian thing and accepts my roomie's no-fish policy. So I got fish with rice and spinach and chickpeas. She had chicken. Everyone was happy.

Before Spain, I HATED chickpeas. But, I was too nervous to pick them out so I tried one (I'm supposed to be open-minded here...) and it was DELICIOSO. So, as a new chickpea enthusiast, I was superhappy to have more at lunch. Oddly, after eating this main course type dish, we had salad, with tuna in it. I got TWO kinds of fish and three things with tomato. A kosher-in-a-foreign-land banquet. I'm thrilled.

We go back to school, have a merienda (snack) with our classmates which was more coffee (still so much better than America - averaging 3 cups per diem so far) and baklava (so mediterranean right now. Also hated that like chickpeas, now a big fan) along with tiny cakes, which were a disappointment but the coffee and baklava made it a-okay.

We come home after wandering through amazing winding cobblestone palaces in the center of the city (took an hour to go home, second time being lost today) and then we had our 9:30 PM dinner - earlyish here.

Mom's not home. Manueluis (still not sure if his name is Manuel or Luis) makes us a salad. A pasta salad. With hard-boiled eggs, pineapple, raisins, vinegar, tomatoes, and of course olive oil. Is this food even Spanish? Would they ever put this on a menu en los Estados Unidos?

We're about to go out which will be far more blogworthy but I'm so not going to be able to write when I get home. From exhuastion, of course. Not botellon/tapas/club/disco... (Hi, mom and dad!)

'ta luego. 

No comments:

Post a Comment