Sunday, September 18, 2011

This is BullFight Club

I just saw a bullfight. I watched six bulls get taunted, tortured, and killed. PETA probably does not endorse this activity. However, Sevilla is a bullfighting capital of the world and the season ends next weekend.

Many consider this artistry. So do I.

Killing animals for entertainment is antiquated and wrong. Blood is gross, and there's a lot of that. But - there are no buts: bullfighting should probably be abolished, like slavery.

However, I'm appreciative that I got to go. The men's outfits sparkled in a way Ke$ha can only describe. Glitter everywhere. They also wore the tightest pants I have ever seen. And the way they walk is more of a dance, right up to the bull, around it, beside it, almost friendly. Except then they stab it.

I really shouldn't say 'men' because none of the fighters were older than me. One was born in 1993. When I was 18, I was not wearing that much glittery spandex and I definitely did not spend my free time waving pink fabrics to distract animals four times my weight. But, cool, if that's your family's tradition.

I won't go into the gory details but it definitely gets dirty. Highlights include a somersaulting bull, a roll-and-tumble bull/fighter tango, a bull knocking over a horse, and a grandstand band to top it off. Surrounded by tourists speaking foreign tongues and old Spanish men smoking cigars, I sat with 4 other girls to brave the six rounds of what some call magesty and others, death. The tend to glamorize bullfights in posters or movies. You see a guy wearing a weird outfit waving a red thing and a torro running to and fro, snorting and kicking its legs around.

It's only sort of like that. It's more glittery and ponies and strutting - and the killing part. Watching an animal die sharply contrasts the beauty of the artform of distracting and attracting the bull to control it.

As usual, there was lots of history and culture to go with it, still not sure how I feel about it, but after the first round, where I looked away from the miserable creature, my eyes were glued to the ringed circus of men in tights doing stupid things. Sitting down while a bull charges at you? Really?

No people died, many animals did, it was gut-wrenching, it was glorified, it was Spain.

You want a piece of me?

If bullfighting is abolished, where will this guy wear his awesome outfit?

"This is my cape. Please run toward it now. Then I'll kill you."

Glitter everywhere.

A little tussle between the bull and the boy. Sometimes I roll around with thousandpoundbeasts too. For fun.

He was just having the time of his life. And his cigar was invading my lungs. 

Nudge, nudge. 

Pink socks. So many pink socks.

Feather plumes. These guys had no discernible role other than to look awesome.



No comments:

Post a Comment