Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Amtrekking to Philadelphia

Note to all: This would be the point where I stop blogging regularly, stop doing wonderfully fascinating things, and continue with my regular but not-so-average American life. So, just kill this tab now if you don't want to bore yourself with the writing exercises I am entertaining myself with while I figure out next steps for this bloggyblog.

After three days of mini-jetsetting around the metropolitan New York area to see everyone possible and do everything possible before jetlag smacked me upside down at 10 pm, I am now sedentarily chilling on an Amtrak regional coach. Not at all as nice as the renfe trains of Spain. The lady behind just yelled at me because I answered my phone to say bye to my dad, who I will not see for 8 days.

Calm yourself, woman. It's the quiet car. I get it. I'm sorry. I just got on the train. Gimme a hot second.

Now, that would not have been so out of line of this woman until SHE ANSWERED HER PHONE TWENTY MINUTES LATER. You grinch. Stealing joy from young people, on their phones wishing a Happy Hannukah to their dads. I have expletives for her, but I will keep them to myself for now.

Modernity has me spoiled into saying, "Thank goodness for wifi and outlets on the train." I managed to straighten my hair and blog on this trip. I also took a survey on alcohol at Northwestern and read up on Kim Jong Il's death. I would therefore say I am a well-rounded and well-coiffed individual who efficiently and effectively uses her time and resources (someone's practicing for summer job interviews...)...

My life isn't a 100% back to normal and I'm hoping it never will be. However, the next eight days, in addition to being Hannukah, the fabulous Jewish reason to give presents and eat fried potatoes and donuts, will be my longest stay in a single place in the month of December. And I will be living out of a suitcase in a hotel in downtown Philly (hit me up if you're around!)

In just thirty days, I will have been in three states and five countries. Pretty not-so-average. Pretty fun.

I miss you, Sevilla, but I love you, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment