Friday, December 16, 2011

One last hurrah

My mind went into mechanical overdrive on my last day in Spain. Pack bags. Buy presents. Eat food. Take pictures. See friends. Say goodbyes.

So, I did those things. I woke up to faux christmas, a fully decorated living room and dining room with sparkles and Jesi and candles and the poinsetta I gifted the fam. Leaving the house to meet Kate for some lastminute activity, I hit up a belen, a nativity scene that my senora had been yapping about for at least a week, nagging us "did you go yet? did you go yet?" I was expecting some nice statues of baby Jesus and Mary and an ox. Kate and I found a huge basement room with dramatic Indiana Jones music, mood lighting that changed to reflect day and night, and thousands of tiny figurines replicating Bethlehem. One house even had a little menorah in it! They were all Jewish... 

The belen was so cool I was compelled to dump my little one and two eurocent coins in the donation box. Win-win for me and the monks of Hospital de San Juan de Dios, who make this insane display every year. I ended up going back a second time that day, on a shopping adventure with Anna and other Kate. We played in Corte Ingles for a last time, where I picked up a CD of Spanish guitar and flamenco for my dad. I also bought myself a nerdy typewriter necklace to remember how much absurd typing I did during this entire semester. This blogbook is going to be a thousand pages, I think. Order yours today! Justkidding.

I stopped by the gym on my way home to say goodbye to my adorable trainers and get a quick picture with them. You can tell just how motivating they are by the fact that they convinced me to come to zumba an hour and a half later. A final gymming hurrah! I can do this in America!

I came home and finished packing my tchatchkes, a whole bunch of tickets and knicknacks and other memorabilia from my time abroad. As I started writing my final note to my host family, Courtney and her parents arrived! Elise and Bill were just charming and we all enjoyed a blowout dinner of tapas and paella. My senora even got me to try some chicken - I couldn't not eat it after she said, "You eat it today, you can confess tomorrow!" Not worth explaining that that's not how Kosherness works, I gave in to the curry paella kick of spices and nommed on what southern Spain is all about. Worth it. 

We took a long family photoshoot with the Christmas decor, American and Spanish flags, multiple moms and dads and siblings, and a lot of laughter. Courtney's dad Bill, a total baller, carried my suitcase downstairs for me and then the night was over. 

I gave the family my note, "Living in your house is like living in a dream. I will never forget you all, and all you have taught me. I am incredibly grateful to have had an experience unlike anything I could have imagined. A thousand thank yous. See you soon."

And I do hope to be back soon. That whole "Mi casa es tu casa" saying? They mean it, and I felt it every day for four months.

My day ended with a group meetup for beverages and so-longs around the corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment