Wednesday, November 30, 2011

No Pa Americano

Today, America came to me in many ways.

First, I got a surprise letter! The first and only piece of mail I have/will receive in Spain, I bet... Michal (who I often refer to as "my married friend") sent me the cutest letter with a candy and it absolutely brightened my day - if not my semester! The little things really do count, and she's a pro with life's small charms.

Later on, after 7 hours of class, I was inspired to eat an entire plate of fries, some sweet olives, and some of a chocolate sandwich washed down with a pint of tinto de verano, Andalucia's sprite+wine blend. A whole bunch of us went out for our second-to-last Cien Montaditos (Like a Spanish McDonalds?) Euromania Wednesday, hence the absurd amount of strange foods strung together. Afterwards, I guilted myself into walking home the two and half miles. And then decided I HAD to go to Zumba.

And Zumba was bomb. I got there a few minutes late, in my host brother's t-shirt and some pink plaid pajama shorts, looking like a real workout stunner.  But, since everything in Sevilla starts ten to 20 (to 30) minutes late, I was actually early.

The music came on and we had some nice salsa and merengue steps going and then, after about ten minutes, the beat totally changed...

TO COUNTRY MUSIC. And then Elvis impersonator. And then full-out swing. I found each knock-off American tune more laughable than the next. I won fake gym money for my smiley enthusiasm!! I always thought of Zumba as the sexy workout, with these suave latin beats and smooth hip circles. Apparently, when you go to a Spanish-speaking country, they exchange their music and dance for Americans. I should have guessed this based on my experiences in discotecas, listening to last year's Top 40.

Anyway, I had so much fun I was inspired to become a fitness instructor one day. But that's currently as laughable as doing Zumba to 'Twist and Shout'. I've got a lot of two-steps and cha-chas down that path before it's a reality.

Now, I've got new music stuck in my head... Music of a generation. Five femme fatales who showed the world what Girl Power meant. And I'm going to their country TOMORROW.

Zigahzigahhh....

No comments:

Post a Comment