Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Shark Attack Pt. 2: Rise of the Eel

So Northwestern's study abroad department sent someone to town to coddle us through our 5/6th done meltdowns. We were sick and exhausted and it's rainy and cold and we all hate seeing those 'Thanksgiving at home with the fam!' facebook statuses. Seriously. You put that up, I will defriend you. I closed my computer yesterday because I literally couldn't look at my computer, in my bed anymore. Too many cold, rainy, slow days in a row.

But that was yesterday. Today, the study abroad coordinadora came to hear our thoughts on Sevilla (generally great), Sweet Briar's program (generally good), University of Sevilla (jokes), and our homestays (amazing). At the suggestion of a friend's friend, we ended up at a group dinner at El Toboso, a very very expensive and nice restaurant in our area. NU was footing the bill. Getting out of the house and putting non-pajamas on was a healthy change. We were happy.

Then I realized that any bill NU foots is footed by my tuition, program fees, administrative fees, and soul, all of which they have graciously taken from me and my family. I was then determined to enjoy this dinner even more. Eleven of us shared tinto wine and croqueta varieties while discussing what to order. I looked over the many tasty fish options and decided I couldn't settle for cod or anchovies. I ordered rosada, pink fish, which sounded yummy and fine and not creepy. And it was SO delicious. Tasted like fried chicken. Should've known that was a bad sign after episode one.

I get home with Courtney and we snuggle into our beds and I decide to just check out the American name for 'rosada'. There was no screaming or shouting this time. Just an "You've got to be kidding me. Eel? EEL? I just ate something called CUSK-EEL? Ew. This isn't funny."

But, it's actually really funny.  And now the shark in my tummy has a friend. A full-size eel. Or two. I ate a lot.

Sevilla, thanks for teaching me to roll with the punches.


No comments:

Post a Comment