Sunday, November 20, 2011

Saturay Night in America

Rain is likened to liquid death in Sevilla. "Don't go out! It's raining!" or "You need to put on socks!" or "Be careful with that umbrella!" are all common statements on these drowsier days.

Since we were so cautioned against the outdoors this weekend, we figured a movie and mall night would be perfect. Seeing the American hit "The Help," released in Spain two months ago, at 7 PM, would be no problem. And getting dinner after at TGIFridays, not an issue.

Oh, issues abounded. 
1. The lines at the movies were insanely long. All of Sevilla was going to see something at this siesta rainy hour. When we finally got to the front, I was shocked an confused that the only seats left were in the first row. For The Help. On a Saturday late afternoon. Two months post-release? Seriously, Spain? You don't even understand southern 1960s racial tensions. This is ridiculous. 

2. We tried to get some palomitas (translation: popcorn, direct translation: little doves) and cokes but the lines were just as long. And crowded from the overflow of senoras heading in to see "Criadas y Senoras" (translation: The Help, direct translation: Maids and Housewives). We were mob-crowdsurfed into the theater. 

3. The movie starts and I spend the next two and a half hours thanking my mother for forcing me to read the book this summer. I would not have followed the funny dubbed voice of Emma Stone through her emotional journey against racism. A moment of salvation came when the dubproducers decided not to change the gospel singing. That would've sounded so awkward in Spanish.

4. I guess I understood enough because I teared up a bit toward the end. We left the theater and were startled by the worst noise you can possibly hear in a large, open-air shopping mall: a gunshot. We didn't know if we should run for cover (where?) or if we should be scared (did that just happen?) or if we should just go on with our lives (it can't be a gunshot, right? We're in paradiseSpain!). We eventually went to a window  to see what was up... A bunch of 13-year-old boys were being hauled off by the police, no one appeared harmed, and some taller-than-their-friends-the-criminals girls were jumping up and down anxiously. That was all very unsettling.

5. We went into TGIFridays without thinking to check the menu. I sat down and realized I had a choice of onion rings or nachos. Both priced double American menu plus euros. I rationalized it by saying I was paying for the experience of being home, and I had gone to the gym everyday that week, and I had a cold, so I deserved it. There is no legitimate reason to eat your most expensive meal in a foreign country at an American chain fast food spot, but I found quite a few. 

The evening was all-in-all very much a needed escape from drearier Sevilla days. I guess I need a couple pajamas-in-bed hours of sneezing to realize just how great the last three months have been. I also know that, as happy as I am here, I'll somehow be ready for real America (and not just badly dubbed films and over-priced grease) in four short weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment