Monday, July 18, 2011

Collective bargaining

The process known as collective bargaining may have begin with trade unions rising to prominence in the nineteenth century but now, skilled laborers or lazy students, we're all collectively bargaining our tushes off each day.

I open my inbox each morning and start with about 15 emails. LifebookerLoot, GiltGroupe, Groupon, JDeal, LivingSocial, Dealfinder - I'm crazy for this stuff yet I've never actually bought a single 'deal.' Still, this new consumerist idea might be the kind of market jumpstart the economy is looking for.

Point being: I get these emails so I can fantasize about cheaply living the life from halfprice car washes or drinks at some swanky bar to liposuction and keratin or a week in Cozumel. The thrill of getting a good deal combined with belonging to a crowd - undeniably powerful... so why have I not bought a deal yet? See: Bank account balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment