Thursday, July 14, 2011

Monthaversary

So many cute little couples think they're so adorable writing "happy anniversary, baby. I love you!" on Facebook and then I look at that stupid addition of the anniversary function below relationship status and I think, it's not even your anniversary.

That's because the English language is forever morphing and people are continuously disregarding all construction of lingual history. Look at it: anni. It means year. 7 months is not a year. 2 months is not a year. 6 months isn't even a year.

So, I've decided to call them monthaversaries instead. It won't catch on because it sounds dumb. Kind of like when Regina tells Gretchen that 'fetch' won't happen. But, quack is a weird word in English (comes from dutch, see below) and that caught on. So then again, maybe 'monthaversary' will.

I absolutely think you should celebrate every minute of your time together. It's cute. It's nice. I'm glad you're happy. Really. But just know you're defiling the language you claim fluency in each time you declare a month nonmultiple of twelve to be an 'anniversary.' Pretentious discourse over.

*It should technically be mensiversary, but that reminds me of Mensa puzzles, which frustrate me and it also reminds me of that time of the month, which is clearly lingually relative too. Words, words, words.

No comments:

Post a Comment