Friday, July 8, 2011

A Penny For Your Thoughts

I will literally give anyone who gives me (positive) feedback a penny. This largely holds symbolic value that I really genuinely care if you are reading this. It's also funny to say that I gave you a penny for your thoughts.

I decided to dedicate a lot of my blogging to finding stuff out. (Stef on Stuff. get it?).
So I am going to talk a lot more about the blogging industry, why blog (or why not), and all that and a whole lot more so you can be an informed blog reader.

Originally, I was going to do that now. Instead, I'm just going to look up the origin of this titular saying.

First finding: There is an episode of the Twilight Zone called "A Penny for Your Thoughts" which involves telepathy, business corruption, adultery, and a man named Hector. Irrelevant.

Second finding: An Englishman named John Heywood in 1546 first documented the phrase in a catalogue of sayings he put out, according to The Straight Dope (and probably other more official academic sources). He wrote in funky English with strange vowels. TSD brings up that a penny then is so not a penny now.

So, maybe I should be giving everyone who comments 50 bucks? I don't think so.
After all, it's not the penny, but the thoughts that truly count.

No comments:

Post a Comment