Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Graphics(ex)

Everytime I posted a Stef on Sex, I was asked for a picture to accompany it. This was awkward because my columns were generally non-graphic because that would bar me from getting a job and make people uncomfortable. And my mom would be reading it. (One time, I put up a picture of my nails on a keyboard, but I think that was a different hercampus article, and you'd have to have some whacked out fetishes to find that unbearably hot.)

So, how do you talk about sex non-graphically? In Easy A, Emma Stone does that. Then everyone talks about her. And then everyone makes the graphics up themselves. As a writer, it's my job to be the Emma Stone. Just get things started and everyone else can do the action-imagination piece.

I see it this way: If the good lord had wanted me to have the skills to draw pictures, he would've so blessed me. He didn't. Stick figures are hardly my forte. So, I write - I paint the image for you with words and then everyone sees things so interestingly uniquely. (Think of how it's still kind of disappointing that Harry Potter movies make the images for you - it takes the fun out of the reading and picturing it yourself. Or mispronouncing funny British things. 7 year old me didnt have classmates named Hermione.)

If a picture's worth is a k of words, I better get writing to catch up to my artistically-talented peers. Or learn to use a camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment