Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Stef on Storytelling

There's a reason my blog is NOT called that.
I'm not the worst storyteller. I'm also no Lou DelBianco, who came to junior congregation ever Rosh Hashana to tell the sound-effect-filled dynamic stories of animals doing silly things not at all related to Judaism. Beth El, Italian storytelling as prayer since the 90s.

It's a tough-y because writing is storytelling. You're always relaying some story. It can be a fairytale dreamt by a disillusioned captured princess (me) or a vague overview from a jaded journalism student (me) or a catchy, kitschy anecdote from a friend (of mine), but its a story and I get to give it a voice.

I would never ever want to be Lou DelBianco when I grow up. I'm just not good at whinnie-ing or quacking (The word "quack" derives from the archaic word "quacksalver," of Dutch originm, spelled kwakzalver in contemporary Dutch - Wikipedia). But, I do want to tell the written type of stories.

The ones I haven't really gotten to that often on here. See 'stolen shoes' for a sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment