Monday, October 31, 2011

Boo!


Halloween. An American day of costumes and candy. Not a holiday in Spain. However, due to the intense fascination of Spaniards with American culture coupled with the endless amounts of free time, this country is ready to dress up and party tonight.

We’re getting our alter-egos on to party with my host brother and his friends tonight. He’s 34. So are his friends. They were in high school when we were born. It’s just not happening. We’re closer in age to Justin Bieber, while they’re closer to Obama.

But, that said, it’s always good to practice Spanish with locals.

Spain seems a little confused, or perhaps just a little behind, on how to do Halloween. Costumes here are actually supposed to be scary. A playboy bunny or a sexy firefighter are drastically confusing to Spaniards. After telling LuisManuel what we’re going to dress up as, he exclaimed, “With blood?”

No, I’m not going to wear blood as part of my costume. In American Collaween (college Halloween) is contorted as an excuse to wear something indecently ridiculous and go out. But good try.

Another missed fundamental of Halloween is chocolatechocolatechocolate. I doubt anyone on my street will be giving out mini Hershey bars much less King-size Reeses. I think they would just be very confused if ‘those stupid americanas’ randomly showed up at their doorsteps at twilight.

My ideal Halloween is wearing your pajamas as a costume, ringing the doorbells of your neighbors, and eating lots of candy.

In Spain, Halloween is blood and alcohol. Sounds more like wartime than Halloween to me. 

Here are my top 5 Spanish cultural Halloween outfits
            5. Unemployment. 21.5%, hombre.
            4. Futbolista, the world’s pastime.
            3. Francisco Franco, the reason Spain is behind.
            2. A Spaniard. Jean-capris, muscle tees, lip piercings, cigarette –blend right in.
            1. An American. You know one when you see one.

Let's just hope the neighbors don't judge us. 
Oh wait, pretty sure I was judged when I was seen trying to learn to ride a bike in the driveway.

Don't bother with a "boo" - nothing is scaring us tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment