Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The top of the tallest tower, the thousand Jesi, and something internationally cooking. Just your average day at home in Sevilla.

One time, a bunch of us ended up rapping an Eminem classic in a bar with a local traditional youth band of Spaniards.

Well, I feel like Eminem now. Palms sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.

Just because I had a really long day. And it's constantly swelteringly hot here. I climbed a tower and then visited a museum and then went to a festival. And made it home for a stellar dinner.

1. Class. Regular Spanish university course. So confusing. So hard to listen to a man talk emphatically about studying artistic techniques. Especially when literally every Spaniard in the room is A. On their cellphone. B. On Facebook. C. On Facebook on their cellphone. D. Not taking a single line of notes.

I will eat you. No really.
2. Left class, checked in to my first RyanAir flights to BARCELONA on Thursday for a whole weekend/Yom Kippur extravaganza with a conglomerate of people. Glad to be spending a meaningful day with meaningful people in a bigger community - and having them to break fast with.

3. Torre del Oro. Looks kind of tall. Like I could let Rapunzel's hair down and still the prince couldn't reach it. Took 25 minutes to look around the maritime museum, climb to the top, take requisite touristy pictures, climb back down. Takeaway? See funny picture captions.
The Santa Maria...It's got to be at least three times the size of that.


Using this, Columbus got to India.  
4. Fiorentina, Sevilla's top ice cream place. Had a mix of coffee, chocolate, and banana flavor, in case you were wondering. I don't know what I'll do when I go back to Evanston, can't find banana ice cream and am living in negative temperatures.
 Not photoshopped. Maybe. 







5. Museo de Bellas Artes. We got a bit confused on the way there and I asked a lottery seller how to get there. Note to self: People who sell lottery tickets probably have really thick accents I did not and will not understand no matter how good my Spanish gets. Found the museum, saw about a thousand Jesus images, some other cool paintings, an awesome chapel done by Murillo. The guard let us in for free with smiles (and not our student ID card), he said.

These are my host parents.
I think Spain has done a lot for my style and complexion.
Still working out my hair though.

Look, what I made!

Three smiles, three free entries. Next to an ancient well in a courtyard. Norm.
6. Going on the fifth or sixth consecutive hour with Baxter by my side, we walked through town, dropped Joan at school (so maternal), and talked about leading happy lives with positive attitudes in Spain... and how our feet hurt. This walk also included reading some of the Mr.Mrs.(Insert Adjective) books in the children's section of a bookstore. Perfect intellectual language exercise.

7. Ended up at the Festival de Naciones. A park filled with kiddy rides, vendor stalls, Rastafarian massages, food from 20 countries, cheap jewelry, incense, and MUSICALS. Every night, they have musicals, movies, dance lessons, and more. Along with an elevated Cuban Rum bar. And guacamole.
Given my new strong crazing for smushed avocado and the Spanish version of "Singing in the Rain," I'll be back soon. The food is cheap and the 5* entertainment is free! (Mom and dad, add this to your activity list - see you in two weeks!)

8. Came home via Metro. Feet no longer functioning. Ana made QUINCE TARTS for dessert. And she told me the other day that she is a terrible pastry chef. Lies, I tell you.

Now, I'm meeting some friends at the cafe down the street for a cup of vanilla tea and some chatting. Despite an extraordinary day, I feel so at home now. Wearing a comfy sweater, meeting some friends, no make up, just chillin'. Why I'm wearing a sweater when it's still over 70 degrees, I'm not sure. I just really wanted to wear a sweater. Does it matter? No. None of this really makes sense still.

Even though this life is absurd and random and great and crazy and exhausting, with good food in my tummy, a smile on my face, and a cup of tea with pleasant company, I feel rather charmingly at peace. And, at home.

1 comment:

  1. Will find you banana ice cream - not to worry!

    ReplyDelete