Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mosaic BreakFeast

Gaudi was actually on many, many hallucinogens. However, he saw beautiful things and created them all over Barcelona, so for that, I am grateful.

If you read really far back on this blog, you will get my fascination for Alice in Wonderland. She eats cake that shrinks her (impossible!) and she slays a dragon (maybe not impossible). My experience in Barcelona's Park Guell today was like wandering in the Queen of Hearts' gardens, with a lot of illegal immigrants selling keychains, and a thousand of my closest tourist friends taking pictures of the stunning view from mountain to beach.

So many incredible mosaics. Like Gaudi smashed the bathroom tiles of several rich people and then redisplayed them apologetically all over a park. We also walked around his skinny, tiny house and saw his bed and his toilet. Fascinating stuff.

While climbing up a mountain while fasting, after an interesting morning in a hotel at a reform service, I complained all the way up. But then the mosaics were so cool, I couldn't even form structured sentences. Then again, given my current lingual mix-up, I rarely form straightforward sentences anymore.

We came home and despite the fastingness, prepared a delicious meal I can take ZERO credit for, other than being a great pot washer and vegetable chopper. Ari made chicken francese, Julie made panzanella salad, truffles in two flavors, challah, a pasta bake, a wedding cake, a baked alaska, home-brewed beer, meatloaf, coronation chicken, souffle, filet mignon... I made half of those up but really, so much food.

I screwed up a chicken glaze, called it a bread dip, and fooled the other guests into thinking it was absolutely delicious. In truth, the honey and olive oil did taste good - but Julie's homemade fresh bagels were far superior.

I'm now sitting in a kitchen with six randomly juxtaposed people (kind of like our own twisted beautiful mosaic) who I just shared a break fast breakfeast with, drinking coffee, eating the remaining cayenne pepper and cinnamon truffles, and discussing the hallucinogens Gaudi probably took.

My friend is wearing sequins, there's a place called a Magic Fountain, and we're going to a bar called the Dow Jones. Just because the world is in La Crisis doesn't mean you can't discuss that intelligently over lunch and try to save the situation by going out and embracing culture at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment