Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rain, rain, go away

I have cold feet.

Not the euphemism. My feet are actually cold. It's been raining (aka. torrential downpour every few hours) for a while now and everything is damp. We left Morocco and came home to not-so-sunny Sevilla.  While the fresh breeze is particularly lovely, the weather casts a gloomy, dreary air over everything. Wompwomp.

Last night when my roommate was ready to leave the discoteca someone stopped her and said, "You can't leave now! It's raining!" At work today, the internet wasn't working and the root of the problem: the rain. This region is ill-equipped for a little sprinkle. It's like a big outdoor shower, Andalucia. It's not that dangerous or scary. (Note: I was at home last night, sneezing from whatever Morocco-related illness I contracted. And the fact that it's 50 degrees freezing. Clearly, I am falling into their rain-inept habits.)

On a more serious note, major floods in Northern Spain, Italia, and Tailandia are proving that I'm not the only one stuck in a rainy rut. Reports from Evanston indicate that global warming has induced torrential downpours completely worldwide.

So what do you do when it's a rainy day? Well, if you have the greatest host mom ever, she makes two pots of chicken soup - one for the kid who "doesn't like meat" (direct quote from lunch today) and another separate pot for those who eat chicken freely.

It was the best chicken soup ever. It had noodles and carrots in it. And I am so not asking how she made that broth. Too good to be (K) true?

Food art. Directed by Ana Maria Luna, while laughing at what a weird American I am for photographing food.
Even when my megavideo 72 minutes of How I Met Your Mother maxed out, I took a deep breath (new skill, thanks Spanish lifestyle of slowness) and inhaled the sweet smell of rain-fresh air from my window. It's my favorite smell, making rain not as upsetting.

Sevilla, I would much appreciate if you did not rain any more, but for now, I'm just really glad I got a chance to snuggle up, sleep in, and chill out before midterms hit.

Did I mention that the questionable chicken soup was to die for? Repeat at dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment