Monday, October 24, 2011

Let the Rain Fall Down and Wake My Dreams


Getting home so late from Morocco, so damp, so worn out, and so happy to be home, I was so so so grateful for the dry fresh sheets and new comforter Ana put on our beds for our return. October 24 and the weather is expected to drop into the seventies this week. Brrrr. More exciting and terrible was the torrential downpour that kept me up till six and woke me up at ten, just in time to arrive for Arab literature class (where I wrote the last 2000 words for this very blog!).

I had not seen rain since the rainy day we arrived in Sevilla. This is my first full week in Sevilla in nearly a month. This week also marks around halfway.

Halfway. Here is where we can chose optimism or pessism,  half full cups of sangria, or half empty bottles of tinto. Both seem okay. I can't get too bitter. 

Luckily, I’ve been reflecting all along with you and this blog. So I can hardly forget a moment.

I’m also still sure this is a parallel existence. I’m convinced that when I go home, I’ll just pick up where I left off, with the sweet memories of my espanola vida behind me. I have an image of my driving down Central Avenue to go buy some shoes and groceries, or maybe going to City Center movies to see a romcom with a friend. Or yelling at my sister for stealing my clothes while I was gone.  And Sevilla will literally just be a dream, where I happened to get better at Spanish and learn some about myself.

This morning it was raining and last night it was raining and each drop is like that pinch I need to wake up and live rather than just dream it. It’s the call to action that I start an internship tomorrow and want to find a language-exchange buddy and need to look at winter courses and study for my midterms here.

It can rain and rain and rain but I’m still going to feel unreal. I just went to Africa and Paris in the same week. 

I'm out of this world, or just on another side of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment