Sunday, October 16, 2011

Good Morning, Paris, Good Afternoon, Sevilla


After four days of excellent adventure and enchanting art history and exhaustive pastry consumption, we left our apartment, said goodbye to our gorgeous French landlord (don’t worry, I’ll be back to marry him and live in Versailles one day), and got on a train to a bus to a plane to go home.

We were so happy to be back in warm weather but so sad to leave the land of baguettes and the best hot chocolate ever. The flight was tacky as ever thanks to Ryanair’s gimmicks, but after three pages of Harry Potter en espanol, I passed out, attempting to recover mentally and physically recover from the marvel that was Paris.

Back in Sevilla, I stripped off layers as I walked home. A coat, a scarf, and a sweater had barely kept me warm in the morning and suddenly, I was boiling mid-afternoon – and speaking Spanish again! So much easier to understand what was happening.

Except when I walked in my house, my senora asked “Como fue tu viaje?” and all I could say was “Bien.” Too much English-speaking for too many days. Badbadbad for immersion progress.
Still, she fed me yummy hake with a vegetable stew and rice, even though it was 4 PM and there was no good reason to eat. 

I spent the rest of the day catching up on housekeeping, catching up on friendships, and beginning several internship applications without completing a single one. I also streamed a movie I have to watch for class – and then found out it was in German. With no subtitles.

My parents are coming on Monday. I have no time to watch this movie with subtitles unless they want to watch it too. I have to do lots of Sevilla touristy things with them, translate between them and my Spanish parents, and take advantage of a lot of sponsored tapas and perhaps some shopping too. Study abroad struggles? I think not.

This week has been crazy. And, I’m going on a boat to AFRICA on Friday.

Meanwhile, I have some less-fascinating matters to deal with at home though, while this is all going on, like this magazine drive. Please consider purchasing a subscription to save my future career and support my sorority leadership fund. Also, if you have an internship that I would do well in for next summer (thinking marketing/blogger/Spanish-to-English writer/cruise ship staffer) – let me know! 

Also, I hit the 3000 page views mark. And felt really popular. Thanks for reading and sharing in my adventures with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment