Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Picnic for 22,000

Hey. It's been a while. And I really didn't think very much was going to happen in these three days but JK - obviously awesome things happened because I live in Spain.

Thursday morning, I met Sarah under giant absurd architectural structures called Las Setas - The Mushrooms. She was my second religion major to come to the spectacle that is La Sinagoga in Sevilla.
We arrived at 11:15 and they were just taking the Torah out to read from it. Sarah asked excellent questions and entertained me through the service that was kind of dry because no one called pages or gave a sermon or anything. A lovely woman next to me named Leora showed us some page numbers and pointed us to books and that was just grand, but no real friends were made. Some boy came to say hi to us at the end and as I turned to invite him to an Apples and Honey party, an old guy yelled at me to only speak Spanish and the other collegekid ran away. Ouch. Whatever. He missed out on THE CHALLAH I BAKED.

But wait. First you should know that on Thursday night, to celebrate the holiday, I went to the most fitting place in Sevilla - a bar called LONG ISLAND. It's probably more Jewish than Israel in the real LI, so I had a blast making jokes about Longisland (oneword,please) to myself and enjoying their free sangria copiously. Sweet New Year to me!

Also, on Thursday, I filmed a music video of Mori Einsidler looking like a fool in Plaza de Espana. If she makes that public, it will be reposted here. The song has been stuck in my head ever since...

In the morning on Friday, I had class to go to, where we watched Eurotrip. In English. With no subtitles or anything. It was great. I learned a lot about stereotypes, which are supposedly not true, and how to effectively travel around Europe with 3.38 euros - how much I currently have in cash. Oops. After a delightful stroll in midday heat back home, I enjoyed a festive lunch of lentils (I just can't get used to them but I'm really trying. They're just so pasty and mushy - sorry if I'm yucking your yum). Then I went to the supermarket to get ingredients to make challah.
Spain, meet Challah and Grape Juice. It's been a while.

Turns out the yeast here isn't the same, and turns out my mix did not rise.
Still, with enough cinnamon sugar on top, anything is delicious.

I brought my challah, some honey, and some grape drank to a bridge REALLY far from our house to watch Courtney and Joan and Bobby and Danny and Kate and Maria and Natalie and Gray (and not Spencer) run the 12k Nocturna Carrera of Sevilla. The race had 25,000 signed up and 22,000 were expected to run.

I have never seen so many people run past me. After 30 minutes of sitting smack in the middle of the bridge, enjoying a Rosh Hashana picnic with some biddies, a few bike-runners came flying by. Twenty minutes later, we were mid-stampede from Lion King. The bridge was swaying, we were yelling "Vamos" and "Animo" to psych the runners up as they flew by the 9K mark. For a country of chain-smokers, these people were in incredible shape. (Again, they inspired exercise you will read about in my next post.). The bridge was swaying, the costumes were funny, and the energy ran high throughout (haha, punny, because we were on a bridge and people were running.)

I'm so proud of my friends who ran and the other 22,000 people too, who helped me celebrate my Rosh Hashana by experiencing something new.

Seriously, have you ever had a picnic complete with challah and apples and honey in the middle of a bridge in the middle of a 22k runner 12k?
Who woulda thunk....


(See next post where my life gets even cooler.)


You try baking challah with olive oil and no yeast. Try it. At least they looked beautiful!

So we just sat in the middle.
On this turf. And had this picnic.
Over the river and through the streets...

Zoom. TwentytwoTHOUSAND runners.



What kind of family had two Norwegian chicks, a tall Americana, and a 30 year old Spanish dude? Mine. Mine does. Pick me.


No comments:

Post a Comment